Friday, December 7, 2012

Virgin a Day - #7

Our Lady of Controversy

These images continue to cause quite a ruckus when they are exhibited. You can read what the artist has to say about it here.

 This is the original piece of art that caused the uproar
in New Mexico.

This subsequent piece of art is the cover
for the artist's book entitled 
Our Lady of Controversy

Amazon has a link where you can read more detail about the book - just click on the "Look Inside" to take you there.

These images don't disturb me. What does is the incredibly hostile reaction to them and towards the artist, Alma Lopez, particularly the death threats.  

To which, I say:  

If you don't like the art, don't look at it.  

If you don't like the music, don't listen to it.

Have your opinion - you're entitled to it.

But, violence is not an option.

For me, humor and gentle reminders can change the tone of any conversation, so I'll leave this post with a few things I've pulled off my FB page:







Please visit Rebecca, who is hosting Virgin a Day for these first 12 days of December.


****************************************

One of the interesting parts of posting during Virgin a Day is the daily excerpt I take from Matthew Fox's essay on The Black Madonna.  I look at the numbered points in his essay after I write my own post and am pleasantly surprised that somehow, both are so similar to each other.  

Today is no different:

7. The Black Madonna calls us to Diversity. 
There is no imagination without diversity—imagination is about inviting disparate elements into soul and culture so that new combinations can make love together and new beings can be birthed. Because the Black Madonna is black, she addresses the fundamental phobia around race and differences of color and culture that come with race and ethnic diversity. Meister Eckhart says: “All the names we give to God come from an understanding of ourselves.” [12] To give God the name “Black Madonna” is to honor blackness and all people of color and to get over an excessive whiteness of soul and culture. It is also to honor the feminine. Divinity is diverse. Diverse in color and diverse in traditions and diverse in gender. God as Mother, not just Father. God as Birther, not just Begetter. Gender diversity is honored by the Black Madonna and so too is gender preference. The Black Madonna, the Great Mother, is not homophobic. She welcomes the diversity of sexual preferences that are also part of creation, human and more than human. (We have now counted fifty four species of birds and mammals that have significant homosexual populations. The medieval notion that homosexuality is “against nature” has been disproven: A homosexual minority is very much part of nature.)
John Boswell, in his ground-breaking scholarly work entitled Christianity, Social Tolerance and Homosexuality has demonstrated that the twelfth century, that century that birthed the great renaissance and the Black Madonna in France, rejected homophobia. For a period of 125 years—years that were the most creative years in western civilization—diversity was welcomed at all levels of society. [13] Creativity thrives on diversity.

35 comments:

  1. no matter where we reside, what beliefs we carry in our hearts we can all come together in love. kindness, caring, love, light know no boundaries. some of us are entering winter, others welcoming spring, but we are all spinning round under the same stars, welcoming the same sun. for me your post is full of love, wisdom, laughter and celebration.

    as i shared in my post today i am weary of separation. let's throw open wide the doors to the house of belonging. for me, that would include, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rebecca - inclusivity is the word.

      Delete
  2. Whether everyone wants to agree or not...
    we all are praying to the same God.

    You have ignited so much curiosity in me today Delphyne...
    And I want to 'borrow' the Jacob Norby quote for my journal.
    ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! And your Quote! Amen to that :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a delight and I am glad to have met you in blog land ~ Wonderful post ~ Bravo! Wonderful photos ~ Bravo! ~ (A Creative Harbor) ~ aka 'artmusedog' ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol - it's a great joy to meet you and the others during this 12 day journey with Mary.

      Delete
  5. The similarities are uncanny for sure. I love our lady of controversy. As we are all related, so are all things. I believe the Higher Power can take a joke. If The Creator can bring us pain and suffering, there must be an outlet for humor, sarcasm and satire as well. Love this post and wish I had more time to spend here today. Forgive me for not saying all that this puts into my mind.

    Peace

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this interesting post and agree, artists are creating from their own visions and deserve the freedom to express themselves. I have many more thoughts on this topic and will say only this :We are created with wildly wonderful imaginations and I believe the Creator delights in all that we create, as long as there is love in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your statement, Barbara - with emphasis on wildly wonderfully imaginations.

      Delete
  7. What an interesting post today. You did well. Thank you for your honesty. Have a wonderful Mary Day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, this is sure different. Well, I'm one of the "wierd" people, so it doesn't bother me either. It's just a morning with Mary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy - different is good. It's forces us to see, hear, sense in another way. We're meant to stretch like that.

      Delete
  9. Oh my God! I first saw your picture of Our Lady of Controversy and LOVED her!!! I think it is a strong and beautiful rendition - very different from anything I've seen before. I guess I'm not shocked by the very conservative folks...they are sometimes very loud in their opinions, but after reading the artist's essay, it disturbs me, as freedom of s=expression and speech are supposed to be ours. I agree...if you don't like it, don't look at it. I don't like the movies where people are slaughtered every few minutes...but it isn't my place to tell others what to watch. Not in this country, at least! Thank you for sharing this gutsy post today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn - I'm really glad you liked it.

      All artists need freedom of expression otherwise they cannot create. I find it sad that some people are afraid of a different type of expression of non violent creation.

      Delete
  10. The antidote to this fearful thinking is love(connection),however it's difficult to know how to proceed when threats are made in the name of religion.Thank you for posting the Matthew Fox essays,I'm finding them very interesting.
    Enjoy your day Delphyne.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ruby. Threats made in the name of religion go on all of the time, unfortunately. I personally do not exempt religion from practicing non violence.

      Delete
  11. Art, at its best, should stretch our thinking about art. This piece (which I find fascinating social commentary) certainly has accomplished that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the creativity of vision in this piece. It doesn't offend me either. . . startles a bit, but I suppose that's the idea of ar like this, to arrest the attention, startle one into seeing in new ways. The Matthew Fox excerpt for today is particularly apt. I'm enjoying your posts very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Leah - I agree agree that art does challenge us to see new things or old things in a different way.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. I do, too - the controversy is with people who only want to see Our Lady portrayed one way. She is not one dimensional any more than we are. It's like people who think that the color blue can only be one shade.

      Delete
  14. wonderful Delphyne just pure wonder!! thank you! I am so happy that I have come to know you and your blog during this journey - my visits here has been one of the many highlights and it is so wonderful to meet kindred spirits even if it is across the oceans!! I will be buying that book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hettienne. I, too, am happy to have met you and all of the others on this journey. I hope to continue keeping in contact!

      Delete
  15. Acceptance of other's way of seeing that's the thing, I absolutely love this post and subsequent comments! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the weird quote, it's gone up on my blog. :)

    I'm amazed at the things that cause controversy. I didn't get it. (Sometimes I think I somehow ended up on an alternate world.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Em - your alternate world is on Jupiter Drive - a wondrous place indeed!

      Delete
  17. I am so grateful to those who are willing to push the edges and stretch my/our world to expand and think and learn and create from a whole new perspective... The move to violence as a reaction... I just don't get. How can we hate and threaten someone for being different? We are terrified of change, of discovering that we are all one, even in our uniqueness... I too love the Jacob Nordby quote and that you gave me a new perspective!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea - the move to violent reaction is from a deep seated fear which the perpetrators must confront within themselves. Uniqueness and diversity are necessary - sameness is boring and monoculture is destructive in the natural world.

      Delete
  18. It's a piece of art that depicts a strong sexual woman. It causes fear in men. Not much unlike Lillith.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!