Monday, December 31, 2012

Beauty - prelude to 2013

(Image from here)

Beauty
Beauty is startling.  She wears a gold shawl in the summer and sells seven kinds of honey at the flea market.  She is young and old at once, my daughter and my grandmother.  In school she excelled in mathematics and poetry.
Beauty doesn't anger easily, but she was annoyed with the journalist who kept asking her about her favorites - as if she could have one favorite color or one favorite flower.  She does not mind questions though, and she is fond of riddles.
Beauty will dance with anyone who is brave enough to ask her. 
 from The Book of Qualities
J. Ruth Gendler    

2 comments:

  1. I keep thinking I've commented on some of your posts and I haven't! (Internet has been fussy today.)

    I love this word. And I'm looking forward to seeing you put it into action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em - this is probably my word for life as it feels all encompassing.

      Delete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!