Thursday, January 23, 2014

Natural Beauty - Caspian Tern

Caspian terns build a type of nest known as a scrape. It's typically a shallow depression lined with stones, shells and vegetation.  (text and image from MNN)
I love that image of the nest - it would be something I would make in a shallow bowl and put on my coffee table!


(Image from here)

The Caspian Tern is the largest of all terns and can be found in North America, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Africa.  Cornell's bird site has some more pictures along with the sound of this tern - you can find that here. Cornell's site is a wonderful resource for anyone interested in birds.




This book was one of my favorite finds when I was at summer camp in Nova Scotia as a teenager - it was and still is one of the cleverest things!  And, of course, the tern makes an appearance.



Click on any of the images to enlarge them.

4 comments:

  1. well, I'll be! the terns' nest looks much like my small wicker tray with my rocks and shells that sit on the sink of one my bathrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were at summer camp in Nova Scotia? I have relatives there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I spent 3 full summers at a girls camp in Sandy Cove, closest town Digby in the mid '60s. I loved it!

      Delete
  3. I have a few dishes of things like this around my apartment, too, Norma!

    ReplyDelete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!