Sunday, November 11, 2012

Homesick

(Image from here)

I awoke this morning thinking of Pacifica, which brought on the homesickness for the one place in California that truly felt like home to me.  All of California felt - and feels - like home, but this specific place felt - and feels - like my place. I saw this beach every single day of the 7 years that I lived there.  I left kicking and screaming to move to Contra Costa County in order to try and save my marriage (didn't happen).  And although Contra Costa County is very beautiful, it isn't Pacifica.  

I think these memories were jogged by Hurricane Sandy and seeing the devastation of the Jersey Shore, which isn't far from where I currently live. Although the beaches couldn't be more different in appearance, there is a certain "beach vibe" in both places.  And I miss that, along with the magnificent San Mateo coastline.  And the incomparable Pacific Ocean.

Em's current move from California to Maryland most likely jogged my inner gypsy memories of making that cross country trip a few times and wondering if I should make it again, to relocate - back to California, back to Pacifica.  To stay. In the place where I was actually happy (in spite of a failing marriage!), healthy with no allergies, closer to San Francisco without the urban frenzy and noise.  In the place where I knew a deep sense of belonging - to the Ocean, to the rocky shoreline, to the beautiful hills, to the clean air and yes, even to the summer fog.  

In searching for an image for this post, I found this site which included this picture along with many others.  I know that I'll be going back to it frequently to take in the stunning photos of my place.

Quoting the WWOTW - Bring me those ruby slippers!  


Although actually, I think I'd rather paraphrase Glinda right now!
Delphyne: Oh, will you help me? Can you help me? 
Glinda: You don’t need to be helped any longer. You’ve always had the power to go back to Pacifica. 
Delphyne: I have? 
Scarecrow: Then why didn’t you tell her before? 
Glinda: Because she wouldn’t have believed me. She had to learn it for herself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!