From your friends at Cook's Country!
Makes 16 biscuitsINGREDIENTSYou can substitute a combination of 2 1/4 cups plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour and 7 tablespoons cornstarch for the cake flour. If you halve the recipe, in step 1 reduce the microwave time to 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2 1/2pounds sweet potatoes (4 to 5 medium)
- 2tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 1/4cups cake flour (see note)
- 1/4cup packed dark brown sugar
- 5teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2teaspoons salt
- 8tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled; plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4tablespoons vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1. MICROWAVE POTATOES Prick potatoes all over with fork. Microwave on large plate until potatoes are very soft and surface is wet, 15 to 20 minutes, flipping every 5 minutes. Immediately slice potatoes in half to release steam. When cool enough to handle, scoop flesh into bowl and mash until smooth. (You should have 2 cups. Reserve any extra for another purpose.) Stir in vinegar and refrigerate until cool, about 15 minutes.
- 2. MAKE DOUGH Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees. Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Pulse flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, chilled butter, and shortening in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer to bowl with cooled potatoes and fold with rubber spatula until incorporated.
- 3. CUT BISCUITS Turn dough out onto floured surface and knead until smooth, 8 to 10 times. Pat dough into 9-inch circle, about 1 inch thick. Using 2¼-inch biscuit cutter dipped in flour, cut out biscuits and arrange on prepared baking sheet. Pat remaining dough into 1-inch-thick circle and cut out remaining biscuits.
- 4. BAKE BISCUITS Brush tops of biscuits with melted butter and bake until golden brown, 18 to 22 minutes. Let cool 15 minutes. Serve. (Biscuits can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 2 days.)