Friday, April 26, 2013

Happy Arbor Day!

Image by blogger - click to enlarge

When I Am Among the Trees

When I am among the trees,
especially the willows and the honey locust,
equally the beech, the oaks and the pines,
they give off such hints of gladness,


I would almost say that they save me, and daily.
I am so distant from the hope of myself,
in which I have goodness, and discernment,
and never hurry through the world
but walk slowly, and bow often.


Around me the trees stir in their leaves
and call out, "Stay awhile."
The light flows from their branches.
And they call again, "It's simple," they say,
"and you too have come
into the world to do this, to go easy, to be filled
with light, and to shine."


~ Mary Oliver ~
(Thirst)


******************************


About Angels and About Trees


Where do angels
fly in the firmament,
and how many can dance
on the head of a pin?

Well, I don't' care
about that pin dance.
what I know is that 
they rest, sometimes,
in the tops of the trees

and you can see them,
or almost see them
or, anyway, think: what a 
wonderful idea.

I have lost as you and
others have possibly lost a 
beloved one,
and wonder, where are they now?

The trees, anyway, are
miraculous, full of
angels (ideas); even
empty they are a 
good place to look, to put
the heart at rest – all those
leaves breathing the air, so

peaceful and diligent, and certainly
ready to be
the resting place of
strange, winged creatures
that we, in this world, have loved.


~Mary Oliver~


2 comments:

  1. oh, my! I had misplaced the month for Arbor day in my memory bank! Happy Arbor day to you. I love the poems by Mary Oliver celebrating trees.
    When we lived in the country, we planted hundreds of trees all around our five acres. Indiana Nursery made that possible. We paid an average of $3 for each 100 trees. We planted scotch pine, walnut and locust trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norma, that sounds wonderful! I'll bet your place was beautiful!

      Delete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!