Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Stuffed red peppers


So, I had a couple of red peppers that needed to be used.  I went through a few recipes in google land, found one that I liked somewhat and tweaked it.  Here's what I came up with and it was good!

1/4 C olive oil
2 or 3 small shallots, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced  (I inevitably use more!)
1 ripe tomato finely chopped(I didn't have one, so used a couple of canned San Marzano tomatoes)
3/4 C Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 C frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (I probably used more as I eyeballed it)
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
2 red bell peppers, split lengthwise and cleaned
Grated Reggiano Parmesan cheese

I added the following which were not in the original recipe and I didn't measure them - pine nuts, dried oregano, fennel seed and some crushed red pepper flakes.

Method:

Preheat oven to 400 F
Coat 8" pan with olive oil or a cooking spray  (I used an enameled cast iron oval pot)

In skillet, heat oil.  Add shallot and saute until translucent; add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.  Remove from heat and add spinach, tomatoes, breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, oregano, fennel seeds and pine nuts.  Mix thoroughly.

Fill peppers with mixture, top with cheese and drizzle a little olive oil on top.

Put them into the baking dish and add 1/4 cup of chicken stock or water.  (I used a combination of both - I rinsed out the can from the tomatoes and used that water)

Cover with heavy foil and bake for 20 minutes.

Remove foil and cook for 5 -7 minutes longer or until peppers are tender.  I baked mine for 10 minutes.

Eat hot and enjoy.

I ate a whole pepper for dinner last night - so I think one entire pepper is good for a main course and 1/2 the pepper good for a side dish.

If you do use the recipe, please link back to me - thanks!

The picture was taken this afternoon - it's the remaining cold pepper from the fridge.  I ate the other one cold for lunch today - it was good, but they're better hot.

3 comments:

  1. 'this looks delicous.

    I love red peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too - I don't like green peppers, but any of the other colors are great!

      Delete
    2. Me either! I hate green bell peppers! I will pick them off and out of things.

      But red or orange or yellow? YUM!

      Delete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!