Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Women's HIstory Month


...  
Snip
"Write to Anna Shaw immediately, and tell her I desire that every cent I leave when I pass out of this life shall be given to the fund which Miss Thomas and Miss Garrett are raising for the cause. I have given my life and all I am to it, and now I want my last act to be to give it all I have, to the last cent. Tell Anna Shaw to see that this is done." 
Miss Shaw said: 
"On Sunday, about two hours before she became unconscious, I talked with Miss Anthony, and she said: 'To think I have had more than sixty years of hard struggle for a little liberty, and then to die without it seems so cruel." 
Susan Brownell Anthony was a pioneer leader of the cause of woman suffrage, and her energy was tireless in working for what she considered to be the best interests of womankind. At home and abroad she had innumerable friends, not only among those who sympathized with her views, but among those who held opinions radically opposed to her. In recent years her age made it impossible for her to continue active participation in all the movements for the enfranchisement of women with which she had been connected, but she was at the time of her death the Honorary President of the National Woman Suffrage Association, the society which she and Elizabeth Cady Stanton organized in 1869.
Susan B. Anthony died on this day, 100 years ago.  Read her entire obituary here.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this sharing - gave me goosebumps to look back down the line of women's history - we take so much for granted and yet, there are still many battles to be won. blessings

    ReplyDelete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!