Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Apple pancakes

(Image and recipe found here)

As a rule, I'm not a pancake or French toast kind of gal.  But, occasionally, I do make exceptions - and these pancakes might just make the cut. I love, love, love potato pancakes/Latkes and French Toast made with challah bread, so I'm thinking I'd make an exception to that dislike list of mine for this particular recipe.  

And maybe serve them with warm, spiced apple sauce.

Smitten Kitchen has some wonderful recipes and this one, for apple pancakes, is no exception.  I may make them as apples are plentiful now - and the picture above makes me want to try them.

Here's the recipe.  If you click here, you can go directly to the website for this recipe and look for more scrumptious recipes - you won't be disappointed! 

Apple Pancakes

Adapted from Joan Nathan, and a bunch of other sources laying claim to the same recipe.

As I mentioned above, these are going to need a little more oomph than the original recipe entails. I’d vote for some orange or lemon zest, perhaps some cinnamon or vanilla extract or … well, what do you think? I am eager to see what you all do to step it up a bit.

(New to pancakes? Check out these tips.)
 
2 eggs, well beaten
1 1/2 cups of milk or yogurt (I used milk and am only assuming that the yogurt will work as well)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
3 medium apples, peeled and coarsely grated (I used yellow delicious, but will use a more tart variety next time)
Extra flavorings (see recipe notes)
Vegetable oil, for frying
Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting

1. Mix the eggs with the milk or yogurt in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
3. Combine the wet and the dry ingredients and stir in the apples and whatever other flavorings you see fit.
4. Heat a thin layer of oil in a skillet over low to medium heat. Drop large spoonful of batter into the pan and flatten it out a little (otherwise, you might have trouble getting them to cook in the center) and cook until golden brown underneath. Flip the pancakes and cook them for an additional two or three minutes.
5. Either dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately, or keep on a tray in a warmed oven until you are ready to serve them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!