Saturday, November 17, 2012

Touchy Feely


Truthfully, I can't get into those Kindle thingies.  I love my laptop and do read quite a few articles while logged on, but I'd prefer a book or magazine, even though I hate that shiny paper which all magazines seem to use.  Well, except for the Edible publications.

Or Cook's Country.

Or...

Wait.

Where was I?

Yes, there is something relaxing about holding a book, turning the pages, putting the book down (to do the splits!), picking it up, highlighting or dog earring a paragraph or page, closing the book, putting it down and thinking about what you've just read.  And then picking it up again to reread a favorite part.

When I was in my 20s, I finally read Bram Stoker's Dracula.  I remember getting so involved with and so caught up in the suspense of it, at one point I actually let out a shriek and threw the book across the room!  Yes, I was that into the story!

The book survived its maiden flight - I don't know if a Kindle would.

And magazines?  I love taking them apart if they have good graphics and fun words and un-shiny paper so that I can make a collage greeting card or post card. Or tearing out a favorite recipe, even though I could probably find it online - but then, I'd have to print it out and why do that when I have it in my hands and can stash it in the folder with a zillion other recipes?

The bottom line is that I love my tactile sense - from holding a book, to petting Kylie, to feeling material like silk and cashmere, to running my fingers through warm sand, to feeling the bumpy skin of an Haas avocado and then contrasting it to its smooth flesh.  Sometimes, I think my hands have their own eyes, nose, ears and mouth ~ the feelings that I receive are often very intense, very full, as if they include sight, smell, sound and taste within the tactile sense.

Weird?

No - just not easy to articulate.


(Image found here)


3 comments:

  1. I have a Kindle but hardly use it. However, the first thing I did after purchasing it was to clothe it in a leather book-like case! And it is even padded, in case I had to throw it across the room. : ) Sometimes I get a reluctant reader at school to get into a story by letting them use it. It can even be turned on to read aloud! But I understand the pleasure of holding a book in my hands and touching the pages...For me, the best part of a Kindle is the ability to load LOTS of books on it when I travel and not have to deal with the weight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to put an outfit on the Kindle! I could probably get used to one and the idea of having tons of books on one machine is nice!

    I love your picture! When did you take it and did you make the mask?? It's really terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more. I had a Kindle for 1 day. It took me all of 24 hours to HATE it. I packaged it right back up, mailed it and never looked back.

    ReplyDelete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!