Friday, December 21, 2012

Happy Solstice - Happy Yule!!


If you EVER have the chance to see Paul Winter's Winter Solstice performance at St. John the Divine in NYC, treat yourself!  I went to the 25th anniversary performance and was blown away by it. I have some pictures from that performance, but they're not very good.  I'll look at them again and see if they're worth blogging.

I love the fact that St. John the Divine is the venue for it, too!  It's a gorgeous cathedral, accessible by NY subway.  They have a blessing of the animals in October for the feast day of St. Francis of Assissi and all kinds of animals come into the cathedral!  I heard that once there was even a giraffe that came in for a blessing!


They also have a Hallowe'en celebration!


St. John the Divine is also the place where Madeleine L'Engle worked as the librarian before her passing.  Her remains are in the columbarium at the Cathedral.

Here is a link to an interview with her along with a transcript and here is
another link.


If I were a Christian, this is probably the church I would attend.

All the best wishes for a wonderful Solstice and Yule, when the world did not end as some doomsdayers predicted!

Yay for Earth!

Yay for Life!

4 comments:

  1. Fun post! Yule blessings to you!

    I loved The Wrinkle in Time. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Em! I enjoyed Wrinkle, too - I read it as an adult. Well, as adult as a Sagittarian can ever be!

      Delete
  2. Loved this post!
    Lots of great quotes and thoughts from Madaleine♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! She was, indeed, an interesting woman. I'm sure she was a joy to speak to!

      Delete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!