Wednesday, October 24, 2012

La Calaca a Day - #24



(Image from here)

La Llorona Martini

YIELD: Makes 1 drink
This intoxicating drink was inspired by a Halloween night when I was using dry ice in a punch bowl. The eerie trail of wispy smoke created by the dry ice looked like the long, flowing gown worn by La Llorona. La Llorona, according to ancient Mexican folklore, was a beautiful woman who drowned her children to be with a man and when he wanted nothing to do with her, she lost her mind. In the afterlife, she walks up and down bodies of water, wailing and looking for her children. It’s a conversation starter for a Halloween party, but you can skip the dry ice for a yummy drink year-round.

INGREDIENTS:

3 ounces Pisco Brandy
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1 ounce fresh lemon juice
1½ tablespoons granulated sugar
Crushed ice
Dash of Angostoria bitters
Dry ice (optional) (see note)

DIRECTIONS:

In a cocktail shaker filled with crushed ice, combine brandy, juices, and sugar. Cover, shake vigorously for 15 seconds, and strain into a cocktail glass. Top with a few drops of bitters. Add some dry ice for a spooky effect.
Note: Dry ice is quite safe to use in drinks, but you should not touch it. Wait for the ice to melt before actually drinking it as it can burn your skin.
Although this recipe doesn't call for Tequila, I couldn't resist the putting those calaca bottles in this post!  You can find the recipe and image of the drink here. The blog post is worth the read, too.


(Image from here)

(Rebecca is hosting La Calaca a Day for the month of October.  You can participate here.).

4 comments:

  1. Those bottles are amazing, and the recipe... oh my, does that ever sound delicious! What a haunting tale this is... It is one of those kind of tales that I have to write a different ending to the story. I will be thinking on this today and will see where it takes me... Thank you so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lea - it is a tragic story, isn't it? I remember watching an old Sophia Loren movie when I was young and it reminded me of La Llorona. I can't remember the name of the movie or much about it, only a scene where she smothers her child thinking it would make the man she loves stay with her.

      I don't think we would get movies or stories like this if patriarchy weren't the dominant paradigm.

      Delete
  2. Fabulous bottles! I went to the site and loved the video, thanks for sharing. The traditional La Llorona folktale was told to me and my sisters when we were very young. When we didn't want to go to sleep my mother would tell us the story, we would be scared and fall asleep. Wonderful memory.
    Adriana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know that I could fall asleep even now after hearing or watching a scary story/movie!

      Delete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!