Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Today's Animal in Need

(Image from here)


NEW ELEPHANT RESCUE 

The DSWT has rescued a 4th young elephant within a two week period. A young male elephant was found by the Amboseli Elephant Trust trapped in a community well near Tortilis in Amboseli National Park. He is now safely in the care of the DSWT and has been named Lemoyian after the name of the well he had fallen into. He is a little bruised and stiff from his fall but otherwise is in good condition. The other elephants have welcomed him into the family. We will keep you updated on Lemoyian's progress in the coming days.

You can learn more about The David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust here.

UPDATE:

I just read this today, 12 October and am sickened by it. Poaching has got to end!! My sympathies to the Sheldrick people who raised and loved this baby.  May those that killed her be found and prosecuted.  

And may Karma haunt the poachers relentlessly.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for turning me on to the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. For Winter Solstice, I always get my Aunt & Uncle something donated in their name (bees at Heifer last year) and this year, I think it will be an orphaned elephant. I have been reading this site and the stories of the elephants and am teary over the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked the site - I love it. I have some more on my FB page that I plan on posting.

    I've been gifted with Heifer donations in my name and it's very touching. And, I'm happy that the funds go to a legitimate charitable cause that I can support. I'm sure your Aunt and Uncle appreciate your generous gift.

    I'm always happy to see that the orphans bounce back and go relatively well with the other orphans. The keepers at Sheldrick take such good care of them....it's heartening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was supposed to read "get on relatively well with the other orphans.

      Sometimes, I hate Blogger. Like when it won't let me publish a comment or only shows the bottom half of what I am typing. Like right now. Let's see how long I have to wait before the comment goes through!

      Delete

Oh, look Toto - we have visitors!